Lindsay June Sandiford, 56, a British grandmother was sentenced to death in Bali’s Denpasar District Court, Tuesday, January 22, 2013.

Death sentence to Lindsay Sandiford was read by the Chief Justice, Amser Simanjuntak.

Lindsay Sandiford was stated found guilty of drug trafficking (cocaine) to Indonesia. She was arrested on May 19, 2012 at Terminal Arrival’s International Ngurah Rai Airport.

At that time, the lady just arrived from Bangkok Thailand with Thai Airways. Officers found 10 packs containing white powder cocaine weighing 4794 grams of gross or 3882.70 grams netto, worth 1.6 million pounds, or about Rp 24 billion.

"Based on the facts of the trial, the accused Lindsay proved no right or unlawful manufacture, import, export, or distribute narcotic class I in the form of plants weighing more than 5 grams," said Amser.

In the judge’s verdict said there were no mitigating circumstances and the defendant did not appear to care about the consequences of her actions.

They said Sandiford had damaged the image of Bali as a tourism destination and weakened the government’s anti-drugs programme.

Meanwhile, quoted by the BBC, Tuesday (01/22/2013), the UK Government through Foreign Office minister Hugo Swire said the government objected and that appeal options were open to Lindsay Sandiford.

"We strongly object to the death penalty and continue to provide consular assistance to Lindsay and her family during this difficult time," Mr Swine told the Commons.

In court proceedings on December 20, 2012, the prosecutors had recommended a 15-year prison sentence.

Sandiford claimed she was forced to take drugs by a gangster who threatened to hurt one of her children.

Previously, there were few foreigners convicted in a court in Bali with drug-related cases, such as Schapelle Leigh Corby from Australia and Franz Grobmann, a German citizen.

Corby was sentenced to 20 years for carrying 4.2 kilograms of marijuana at Ngurah Rai Airport on October 8, 2004. While Grobmann was sentenced to 5 years in prison because he was carrying 2.2 grams of marijuana at Ngurah Rai, Bali, on March 10, 2010.

Fortunately, on May 15, 2012, President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono gave legal form of clemency pardon which 5 years for Corby and 2 years for Grobmann.